Feb 3, 2013

Faking It

Last week a friend and I were talking about this post, musing about life, honest struggle, etc. A few days later, the friend sent this piece to me. I read it and immediately  asked if I could share it on the blog. Permission was granted - anonymously - so here we are, the first guest post!

I don't really know where to start when it comes to sledge hammering heart walls that have been built up for years, but I'm betting prayer (knees to the ground crying out kind of prayer) is a great place to start. Beyond that I think the next step is action. I often expect my prayers to magically fix everything while I sit around and watch as if I'm not an active participant in change. That's a problem. I need to pray and act. Being idle isn't going to help. Prayer and action. Prayer and intentional reconciliation. Prayer and conversation. It's time to let go of the fear of being known. 

If I'm being honest, I can't tell the difference between real and fake in my life anymore. It's painful - to be "real". To give others the power to break you, so as a result I have become complacent. Living my life on the surface and creating relationships of convenience instead of depth. I choose safe, comfortable, and easy instead of different and potentially painful - and yet I expect to grow?

I let the reactions of others dictate my mood.

I let the emotions of others determine my worth. 

I let the words of others become the truth in my life.

I like to think that I don't care. That I'm over it. That only sticks and stones break my bones and the words never hurt me. That is the biggest playground lie ever told. If I'm being honest, I'd take the sticks and stones over the words any day.  

The devil is one clever asshole. He has perfected the art of making me feel alone, unworthy, and inadequate. But worst of all - I've fallen for it. I've let the world be the sole dictator of my happiness.

Here I am in a program centered around Jesus. The one person I should be finding happiness in. Joy. Fulfillment. Sincerity. Why is it so easy for me to believe the devil and so hard for me to believe the Lord? Is it possible that I have become so numb, so distant from real truth, so dependent on affirmations from the world that I have lost the ability to be content in Christ?

I think it is. I think I have chosen the world over the Lord and in that, I have perfected the art of faking it. I have memorized the "right" answers. I have become so deeply disillusioned by the way this world works and the places this world tells us to find happiness and worth that I have lost sight of what it means to be real in my faith, life and relationships. 

I have bottled up the pain, hurt, harsh words, misunderstandings, surface level friendships and inability to connect. Instead of it blowing up, I've let it fester and it's tearing me apart. It's created a hollowness that I had lost all motivation to fill. A contentment with mediocre that had power over me. I have literally allowed the world to hurt me into submission.

If you had asked me two, maybe three months ago I probably would have told you I was ok. Living life. Seeking God. Etc, etc. Now? Now I'm ready to call my own BS. Now I want to run around with a sledge hammer bashing down the walls of lies I've built around my guarded heart. I remember a version of me that used pain as a way of reaching out. That used hurt or conflict as a way of connecting with others. Where did that person go? When did I become someone content with passivity and inaction? When did I become ok with fractured relationships? When did I start saying "why bother" instead of saying "how can I fix this and grow from it"? When did I make the decision to start living for myself and to stop loving and forgiving like Christ? 

We're made in the image of God, relational to the core, to the very essence of our being as humans and I've let evil deprive me of what it means to be in real relationships.  "Easier said than done" is a copout - one that I rely on - but a copout nonetheless. So here's to doing. Praying, reconciling, confessing, challenging, forgiving, and growing. Here's to wielding my new sledge hammer with grace, peace and most of all, love.